Monday, September 12, 2016

thoughts from Psalm 119




I just finished reading Psalm 119 and I realized how full it is with verses about God's Word. I wrote out any verses pertaining to His Word, His words, or at times His law in my Bible/prayer journal. Here I separated them out into different sections on how I can apply them in my life.

"Wherewithal shall a young man (or woman) cleanse his (or her) way? by taking heed thereto according to Thy word." -verse 9

I will:
hide His word in my heart, that I might not sin against Him. -verse 11
| If I'm faced with temptation, by having memorized and therefore hid His word in my heart I can be reminded of what His word says in those times and choose to do what is right. I can also have scripture ready to back up my beliefs if anyone questions me. |
not forget His word. -verse 16
| If scripture is hidden in my heart I won't be forgetting it! |
be strengthened with His word. -verse 28
| Just as I need to eat food everyday to be strengthened physically I need to read the Bible each day to stay strengthened spiritually. |
trust in His word. -verse 42
| His words won't ever fail us. |
meditate on His law all day. -verse 97
keep His word by refraining myself from any evil way.-verse 101
| Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. |
hope in His word.-verse 114
and I will not be ashamed of that hope.-verse 116
| What reason have I to be ashamed of the glorious hope I have in Christ? I should never be ashamed to share that hope with others. |
love His word because it is pure.-verse 140
meditate on His word through the night.-verse 148
| Notice how there are two verses about meditating on His word, first saying all day and then through the night. I should be carrying His word with me and focusing on it all of the time. |
stand in awe of His word.-verse 161
rejoice at His word.-verse 162
| Just thinking about how blessed I am to be able to openly have His Word in our home and to be able to read it whenever I want is enough to truly rejoice about. People in other countries are being tortured because of having the Bible and following what it says. |
speak of His word.-verse 172
| I have a dear friend in Arkansas who texts me verses that have been an encouragement to her in her quiet times and it really blesses me. I want to share His word with others around me more often as well. His Words are life and if you feel Him tugging at your heart to share a verse with someone don't hesitate to do so, even if you think it seems out of place or not the right time. It could be just what that person needs to hear. |

His word will:
be a lamp unto my feet and a light for my path.-verse 105
give light and understanding.-verse 130
order my steps.-verse 133
| I especially love the above three verses because of me now going to college. There is already some talk of how we used to be apes and how famous scientists "know" there isn't a God. But by knowing the truth found in His word it gives me light in the darkness and understanding. And above all I want the Lord to order my steps and for His will to be done in my future. |
always be true from the beginning to the end.-verse 160
be better to me than thousands of gold and silver.-verse 72
| The material wealth of this world is all going to fade away, only His word will last forever! |
be sweeter than honey to me.-verse 103

"Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them." -verse 165

| One thing I love about our church is how open the people are to studying things again and again. Even if it ends with a disagreement the ambience is always peaceful and they say they may be wrong. Just a very humble and open attitude. I believe we have always tried to be that way and that it is the right way to be. If we know that we both love God's Word then we will be at peace and not get offended because of someone else following what they see the Bible to say. As long as they are truly walking with the Lord then we should focus on encouraging each other along in the Lord, not pointing fingers at things we think they're doing wrong. |

I loved breaking it down and seeing all of the many different ways we can incorporate God's word into our lives! What has the Lord been showing you in your quiet times?

No comments:

Post a Comment